Wednesday 27 August 2014

So much to learn!

I'm constantly painting but usually my work is from photographs and I'm conscious that I need to keep up with my drawing and also keep developing my knowledge of values, composition, colour etc. It's good to be inspired and learn from others on the web (and there is so much shared knowledge out there, it's wonderful) and also from books, some of which are better than others. I'm currently working my way through 'Drawing on The Right Side of The Brain' by Betty Edwards which is very helpful, going right back to the basics of how to draw. The first exercise is to make a representation of the 'picture plane' out of a piece of glass, look through it at your hand and make marks on the glass to map out your hand on the surface, then use this map to draw the hand on paper. My attempt is shown on the left.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Angie,

    So good to see you posting again. I missing reading about your artful adventures in the narrow boat. I love the book Drawing from the Right Side of your Brain. It's what got me started sketching and drawing rather than tracing from photos.

    Nice drawing of your hand.

    Cheers,
    Serena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Serena, I do appreciate your comments and support of my blog... I'm sorry I didn't reply to your last comment on my other blog but life has been getting in the way (as it does) and I've been absent from the blogosphere for a while, but back now and looking forward to getting into it again!

      Delete